August 23, 2016
1) We are sad to report the passing of Larry Evans N9XVL, who died Friday. Visitation will be tomorrow from 12:30 to 2:30 p.m., with services to follow, at the G. H. Herrmann Funeral Home, 5141 Madison Avenue, in Indianapolis.
2) September is Preparedness Month, and here are three announcements related to that:
A – Hendricks ARES will have two booths at the county Emergency Preparedness Festival, from noon to 7 p.m. on September 14 at the county fairgrounds in Danville. Stay tuned for more details.
B – The net news will feature information on preparing for emergencies each week in September.
C – Our monthly simplex nets will resume in September. Each will be at 8 p.m. right after this net, and will give you a chance to test your radio on a simplex frequency. If you would like to host one of them, contact Ken, KC9SQD, at the info at the end of the e-mailed net news.
3) The next hamfest in the area is this Saturday, August 27, in Spencer. Check the hamfest link, on this website, for more details.
4) The next 2-meter simplex hospital net will be on Thursday, September 15th at 9:30 a.m. The hospital nets are always on 147.570 MHz.
5) Congrats to Barry, KC9WMS, who is the new Public Information Officer for the Indiana Section of the ARRL. Barry was appointed by Section Manager Brent Walls, N9BA.
6) If you are new to Hendricks County ARES or are thinking about joining, be advised that a new-member orientation is being planned for early fall. Dates and details will be forthcoming.
7) What have more than 70 percent of Hendricks ARES members done that you might not yet have done? They went to training.fema.gov/is and earned the National Incident Management System certifications that they did not already hold: 100b, 200b, 700a and 800b.
• Bob, W9BU, noted that when using the 147.165 repeater, it helps to key up for a second or two before speaking.
• Bob also urged to engage in the best possible way to improve your emergency communicator skills: participate in the many public service events that engage hams throughout the year. He noted the web site indyhams.org, which has a list of upcoming running, hiking and bicycling events that use hams for on-course communications.
• Ron, KB9DJA, as Emergency Coordinator, added his endorsement to Bob’s comments.
• Ron also noted the passing last Friday of Larry Evans N9XLV (see funeral information above), and the net observed a moment of silence in his memory.
• Bill KG9QJ echoed Ron’s comments and said 73 to his friend N9XLV.
• REMINDER: Regarding the ARES digital net, if you need help setting up your HF equipment ahead of time, please contact Wayne AC9HP@arrl.net for assistance. We will use different modes each month, starting with PSK then moving to other digital modes like Olivia MKS63. We will also experiment with RMS Express and WinMor. Specific dates and times will be announced on the facebook page, the hendricksares.org website, and in future weekly ARES nets, so be on the lookout.
At the present time, our training consists of net operations. A new-member ARES orientation is
being planned for early fall. Details will follow soon.
Aug 27th - Hamfest in Spencer on Saturday, Aug. 27th.
For more hamfest information, click on the link below: http://hendricksares.org/docs/hamfests.pdf
» For these titles, and many more,
check out our Documents page
BILL GOUGE, AA9EG - Webmaster
Recent Website Additions & Updates: