February 21, 2017
1) The next Hendricks County monthly simplex net will be on March 14, 2017 starting at 8pm. Bill Gouge, AA9EG, will be net control on 147.570 MHz. These simplex nets are an important part of training. They let you test your radio and antenna system on a simplex frequency with the Net Control Operator and other hams in and around the county. Be sure to participate each month through April.
2) The next monthly Hospital Simplex Net will be on Saturday March 18, 2017 starting at 10:30am, with Jason Jackson, N9IMU, hosting from Hendricks Regional Health Hospital. Gary Paschke, AB9SS, will be hosting from IU West Hospital. These monthly simplex nets are on 147.570 MHz. The nets are used to check the performance and capability of our radios on a simplex frequency with hams in and around Hendricks County. This information will be of great value when called upon to provide communications during an emergency or disaster.
3) The Dugger Amateur Radio Club Hamfest, sponsored by the Dugger Amateur Radio Club, will be on February 25th, 2017. It will be at the Dugger Community Building located at 840 Hicum St. in Dugger. Talk-in will be on the 146.775 MHz repeater with a PL-Tone of 136.5 Hz. For more information contact Jonathon Olvey, KD9AMN, at 812-691-1653 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
4) The Terre Haute Hamfest, sponsored by the Wabash Valley ARA, will be held on March 11th, 2017. It will be at the Clay County 4-H Fairgrounds located at 6650 State Road 59 in Brazil. Talk-in will be on the 146.685 MHz repeater with a PL-Tone of 151.4 Hz. For more information contact Kevin Berlen, K9HX, at 812-239-9140 or at email@example.com.
5) If you are looking for experience in emergency communications, consider helping with one of the public service events in the area. Go to http://www.indyhams.org and click on EVENTS for some good options.
6) It’s always available: go to http://www.training.fema.gov/is, and earn the National Incident Management certifications that you do not already hold: IS-100b, IS-200b, IS-700a and IS-800b. These courses are a vital part of the Hendricks County ARES training.
7) The National Weather Service Indianapolis office will be conducting their annual Hendricks County Severe Weather Spotter training on Saturday, March 4th, from 1:00 to 3:00pm in the north conference rooms off the rotunda in the Hendricks County Government Center, 355 S. Washington St. in Danville. Please enter through the northwest door and follow the signs. The program will be presented by one of the meteorologists from NWS Indianapolis. The training is free and open to the public, but public safety, first responders, and amateur radio operators are especially encouraged to attend. The program is updated with the most recent photos and videos, plus any updated information and reporting requirements. Spotter safety is always a major part of the program. Pre-registration is NOT required.
8) There will be a monthly meeting for all Hendricks County ARES members the third Wednesday night of each month starting at 7pm. The next meeting will be on March 15th. It will be held at the Hendricks County Senior Services Center located at 1201 Sycamore Lane in Danville, just North of the Hendricks Regional Health Hospital. Keep up to date with the Hendricks County ARES by attending these meetings.
9) The Hendricks County Health Department will have an emergency exercise on April 1st, starting around 9am and ending around noon. They have asked HCARES to participate again this year. Hams will need to man the radios at HRH and IUWH hospitals. Hams will also be needed at the Danville HS to set up and operate radio equipment at the POD Command Center.
• Bob, W9BU, expressed his thanks to everyone who put on and helped run this year’s HCARS Hamfest. There was a great turn out, and sellers and buyers seemed happy with the event.
• Bob also reminded everyone that the Server Weather Spotter Training will be on March 4th. See item #7 above for information.
• Gordon, KD0EWM, reminded everyone about the ARES Membership meeting that will be on March 15, 2017 starting 7 p.m. in Danville. See item #8 above for complete info.
• Wayne, AC9HP, announced that Ham Radio license testing will be on March 16, 2017. The tests will be conducted at the Aviation Maintenance and Technology Building located at 7251 McCarty Street in Indianapolis, starting at 7 pm.
From Previous Nets
• Reminder from Wayne, AC9HP, regarding the ARES digital net. If you need help setting up your HF equipment ahead of time, please contact Wayne at AC9HP@arrl.net for assistance. We will use different modes each month, starting with PSK then moving to other digital modes like Olivia MKS63. We will also experiment with RMS Express and WinMor. Specific dates and times will be announced on the facebook page, the hendricksares.org website, and in future weekly ARES nets.
Saturday, March 4th: The National Weather annual Severe Weather Spotter training from 1:00 to 3:00 pm. See item #6 above.
» For these titles, and many more,
check out our Documents page
BILL GOUGE, AA9EG - Webmaster
Recent Website Additions & Updates: