August 30, 2016
1) The county Emergency Preparedness Festival will be held Wednesday, September 14th, from noon to 7 p.m. at the 4-H Conference Center and Fairgrounds in Danville. Hendricks ARES has been invited, and will have two booths at the festival. Stay tuned for more details.
2) Thanks to those hams who participated in the third and final frequency shift exercise last week. Four of nine short-time and mobile stations made the switch to 147.165 and back, as did all ten stations checked in under the alphabetic roll call.
3) Watch your email mailbox for the next issue of the HAM-ER newsletter, scheduled for delivery on September 5th.
4) The net news will feature information on preparing for emergencies each week beginning September 6th, in recognition of Emergency Preparedness Month.
5) Our monthly simplex nets will resume in September. Each will be at 8 p.m. right after this net, and will give you a chance to test your radio on a simplex frequency. If you would like to host one of them, contact Ken KC9SQD at the info at the end of the e-mailed net news.
6) The next 2-meter hospital simplex net will be on Thursday, September 15th, at 9:30 a.m. The hospital nets are always on 147.570 MHz.
7) Hendricks ARES has been invited to assist with the Quaker Days Parade on September 17th. More details as they develop.
8) The next hamfest in the area is on September 24th in Bloomington. If you need supplies to make your station more ready for an emergency, here is your chance. Check the hamfest link at hendricksares.org/docs/hamfests.pdf
for more details.
9) The fall New-Member Orientation program is now tentatively scheduled for the second or third Saturday in October. Stay tuned for this important training program for new ARES members.
10) What have more than 70 percent of Hendricks ARES members done, that you might not yet have done? They went to training.fema.gov/is, and earned the National Incident Management System certifications that they did not already hold: 100b, 200b, 700a and 800b.
• Jimmy, KC9RPX, checked in to the net from Bloomington to remind everyone about their hamfest on September 24th. You can get all the details at http://hendricksares.org/docs/hamfests.pdf.
• REMINDER: Regarding the ARES digital net, if you need help setting up your HF equipment ahead of time, please contact Wayne AC9HP@arrl.net for assistance. We will use different modes each month, starting with PSK then moving to other digital modes like Olivia MKS63. We will also experiment with RMS Express and WinMor. Specific dates and times will be announced on the facebook page, the hendricksares.org website, and in future weekly ARES nets, so be on the lookout.
At the present time, our training consists of net operations. A new-member ARES orientation is
being planned for early fall. Details will follow soon.
September 5th: HAM-ER newsletter scheduled for delivery
September 14th: Hendricks County Emergency Preparedness Festival - noon to 7 pm
September 15th: Hospital Simplex Net on 147.570 MHz at 9:30am
September 17th: Quaker Days Parade
September 24th: The next hamfest in the area is in Bloomington.
» For these titles, and many more,
check out our Documents page
BILL GOUGE, AA9EG - Webmaster
Recent Website Additions & Updates: